Landlords Insurance
Landlords Insurance

Landlord Insurance with Flood Cover 

Landlord Flood Insurance Landlord Flood Insurance

Compare Landlord Insurance with Flood Cover & Practical Guide


Do you live in an area flooding poses a risk to your building?  Landlord insurance with flood cover helps you resolve your situation when your building is flooded out and your building has been deemed uninhabitable.  


This is a major problem for landlords and the cost to repair water damage goes beyond any landlord’s expectation, therefore, insurance cannot be forgotten about.  We can help you find a policy which covers flooding and water damage and all you have to do is take a few minutes and use of comparison tools to contact the best insurance company that can provide you with the best of flood cover available in your area.


Before you do that let's see what the insurance company will actually pay out for.


Like I said nobody wants to face a flooding crisis because it's very stressful time for your tenants, what do they do when they have nowhere to stay?  You can add emergency accommodation in with your landlord insurance; this will pay for alternative accommodation for your tenants while your building is being repaired due to damage by water.  It can take several months to repair your property and several thousand if you had to pay for it out of your own pocket.

Do you live in an area with high flooding rates?


When this does happen you will be very glad you have this sort of cover for your building for own sanity and of course, your tenants.  Around the City of London, some areas pose a very high risk of flooding according to the environmental agency government website.  Insurance companies had to change their policies many years ago so that their customers would be covered in the eventuality of a flood because acts of god many years ago were not covered by insurance.

Other places like BirminghamSheffieldCardiffBristol and Leeds are also high flood areas and you should consider landlord insurance with flood cover to protect your properties in the areas I have just mentioned.


You will know better than me which areas are affected more than others and if you have been a victim of letting you know it's very unpleasant experience, you may not have lived in the property at a time since you are the landlord but your tenants take the brunt and that's what landlords insurance is all about when you have flood cover added.


Here is a guide that will keep your contents safer if you are flooded and remember to pass it on to your tenants as well or leave a flooding action plan at your property.

  • Remember to keep sandbags handy and use them for air vents in the lower areas on the outside of your property.
  • Move everything you can upstairs that has value to you personally and what is valuable in terms of what they cost to replace.
  • If you can place electrical items in heavy-duty sealable bags because this will prevent you replacing them again.
  • And don't forget your vehicles, if you have a van or a car move it out of the way to a place where you know water can't get to.
  • Roll up carpets and rugs, upstairs preferably.


If you know flooding is coming, switch off the electricity and gas supply, this will keep you safe from electrocution, which is very important.  Remember as a landlord it would be a good idea to get a flood protection pack together for your tenant, this should include waterproof clothing, a torch, a radio and food.


Let the tenant know that if they are leaving the house they must lock it and make sure it is secure as some insurance companies will not pay out if you leave the building unopened because that is a fault down to an individual and not an act of god.  Sometimes insurance companies can find a way out of not paying out, so this is just to protect you, the landlord because you don't want to end up finding out that you have to pay for damages yourself after paying insurance for years.


Another important piece of information is that you need to keep your buildings and contents insurance up to date for the flood protection to remain active.  The best way to check if your insurance is active would be to get an online policy where you can check it online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, then you'll know if there are any problems regarding payments or any signed documents that you've not sent in, that must be signed.


When the storm is over


When the flooding passes please remember that the building may not be safe for you to enter or the tenant for that matter, the building may not be structurally inhabitable and may not be unsafe. 


When the insurance company sends a tradesman to your property to evaluate it after the flooding, they will let you know whether or not you can enter the building and they'll also send a report to your insurance company for any work that needs to be done to your property or building structure, at this time you can also claim your contents insurance if there is a need to do so.


Compare landlords insurance with flood cover and find a policy to suit the property type.

Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
Privacy Policy - XML - Advertise - About us - Contact us



© 2017 - All rights reserved. eLandlord Insurance is the place where landlords compete you win!. Our address is 22 Linnhe Crescent, ML2 0NY, Scotland, United Kingdom. - For advice please refer to FCA.